Year 3 enjoyed their visit to our parish church a building that has been at the heart of Stibbard for nearly 700 years. Whilst the walls couldn’t speak to us about the changes it had seen, there were plenty of clues for us to find. We were able to work out that the church had possibly opened around the 14th century thanks to the document that lists all the rectors from 1325 to the present day. Other periods of history could be seen in the seating where it appears that the Victorians may have replaced some of pews retaining the the 15th century Tudor ends. We were also able to relate to the people who have lived in Stibbard thanks to a transcript of the parish registers and the roll of honour that detailed those that had left Stibbard to serve in the Great War.
After visiting the church we visited the War Memorial and gave the children a chance to ask questions about the names upon it, before returning to school in time for a well deserved break.